David Schwartz is the Chief Technology Officer at Ripple, a blockchain-based payments company that uses XRP, a digital asset, to facilitate global transactions. As one of the original architects of the XRP Ledger, David has played a significant role in shaping the company's technology and strategy.
Before joining Ripple, David was the Chief Technical Officer at WebMaster Incorporated, a software developer based in Santa Clara. During his tenure, he developed encrypted cloud storage and enterprise messaging systems for high-profile clients such as CNN and the National Security Agency (NSA).
David is known as "JoelKatz" in the digital currency community, where he is a respected voice and advocate for the adoption of blockchain technology.
David is a graduate of the University of Houston with a degree in computer science. He has been involved in the technology industry for over 20 years and has held various positions in software development, security, and cryptography. He is a regular speaker at industry events and has published numerous articles on cryptography and blockchain technology.
David is a strong advocate for open-source technology and believes that it is essential for driving innovation in the blockchain ecosystem. He has been a contributor to several open-source projects and has helped to develop several industry standards for blockchain technology.
In 1998, David Schwartz joined WebMaster Inc., a cloud-based storage system company, as the Director of Software Development & Chief Technical Officer. There, he honed his skills in cryptography, which paved the way for consulting and programming roles with high-profile organizations like the National Security Agency (NSA) and CNN.
David Schwartz’s journey in the world of cryptocurrencies began around 2011 when he started exploring alternative financial infrastructures that could revolutionise the existing banking systems. By the end of that year, he was working alongside Jeb McCaleb and Arthur Britto to create the XRP Ledger, a blockchain network designed to minimise energy consumption and drastically reduce transaction times compared to Bitcoin or traditional centralised infrastructures.
David Schwartz has been a pivotal figure in Ripple (formerly known as OpenCoin) since its inception in 2011. As the current CTO, he has been instrumental in developing Ripple’s key financial tools, such as xCurrent—a product facilitating secure end-to-end payments between different ledgers and networks. Other notable projects he has been involved in include xVia and xRapid.
An innovator at heart, David Schwartz continues to bring new ideas to the cryptocurrency ecosystem. His significant contributions over the last decade have firmly established him as a household name in the world of crypto, and his influence will likely persist in the generations to come.
David Schwartz's vision is to create a world where value can move as seamlessly as information flows today, an "Internet of Value" powered by blockchain technology. He believes that blockchain has the potential to transform the way we conduct transactions and transfer value, making them faster, cheaper, and more secure.
As the Chief Technology Officer at Ripple, David has played a key role in developing the company's technology and strategy to enable faster, cheaper, and more reliable cross-border payments. He has been a strong advocate for the adoption of blockchain technology in the financial services industry, highlighting its potential to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and improve transparency.
David has also been a proponent of open-source technology, believing that it is essential for driving innovation and collaboration in the blockchain ecosystem. He has contributed to several open-source projects and has helped to develop industry standards for blockchain technology.
Recognition and Awards
- Ripple's Trillion Dollar Man | Forbes
- The Man Behind Ripple: David Schwartz | OnXRP
- Ripple Leadership | Ripple
- David Schwartz | Alliance for Innovative Regulation
- David Schwartz biography | MIT Fintech
- Ripple Company | Ripple
- David Schwartz, Chief Technology Officer, Ripple Labs Inc | Bloomberg
- David Schwartz: Getting Ripple Stock Instead of XRP was Probably a Big Mistake | Securities.io
- Ripple CTO: It's Time to 'Seriously Consider' Selling Some Crypto | Decrypt
- Ripple Whale David Schwartz: CTO Reveals His Crypto Portfolio | The Crypto Basic
- The Ripple Protocol Consensus Algorithm | Ripple
- David Schwartz | Crunchbase
- David Schwartz Explains Why He's Not Leaving Ripple | UToday
- Craig Wright Claims XRP is No More, Ripple CTO Responds | Inside Bitcoins
- David Schwartz: Ripple’s Odd Chief Swindler | TrOlly
- Patent Documents Reveal David Schwartz May Have Come Up With XRP Ledger Concept In 1988 | The Crypto Basic
- XRP Buyback Proposal Looks Like a Scam, Says Ripple CTO | The Crypto Basic
- Forget Satoshi Nakamoto, David Schwartz is the Trillion Dollar Man | XRPRipple News
- Ripple’s CTO invented a distributed computer system 20 years before blockchain – ask him about it | The Next Web