Shantanu and Nikhil is an Indian couture label founded by brothers Shantanu Mehra and Nikhil Mehra in 2000. In recent times Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Limited acquired 51 percent stake in the company Finesse International Design Private Limited which is run by the label.
Indian fashion designers Shantanu and Nikhil have always strived to create a modernised design language with their eponymous label. The Indian luxury fashion brand is critically acclaimed for democratising Indian couture through a Modern India narrative that speaks the language of structure and strength.
The duo brings a unique blend of high fashion and business acumen to their label: Nikhil Mehra has a Masters in Fashion from LA while Shantanu has an MBA in Finance from Ohio. The label's signature style romanticises modernity and the aesthetic has Victorian influences—think voluminous gowns, new-age lehenga skirts and sari gowns. Shortly the duo evolved a forward-thinking design philosophy of progressive fusion which is prevalent.
The journey over the years is best described as an anti-trend design philosophy and the dup as modern fashion disrupters. Shantanu and Nikhil introduced drapes in menswear nd liberated Indian celebration wear with modern silhouettes. “We have always believed in nostalgically re-inventing the rich Indian history through the art of the cloth by constantly breaking the myriad stereotypical notions of tradition and fashion,” Nikhil Mehra told Femina. “Instead, we aim to breed a new minimalistic culture of refined and progressive designs that define luxury in what we do. Today millennials feel an emotional connection of sorts and an intellectual investment in the pieces they purchase.”
Shantanu Nikhil made headlines when they launched a pret line . And were calculating a 95 per cent growth in FY23. "Over the years we had noticed our brand signatures like the cowl detail at the end of men’s kurtas, zippered sari gown as a replacement for reception lehengas- a big push of ours, and most importantly military details like epaulets showing up as cheap copies in the market. We had to counter this creatively," the duo told Vogue.
S&N, with its sleek cuts, accessible price and quality fabrics sourced is the ideal bridge-to-luxury fashion brand that aims to finish the counterfeit market intelligently. Its product portfolio focuses on menswear with a rough twenty five per cent on womenswear and fashion accessories. This is perhaps because the duo feel that the menswear segment has a strong scope for growth in comparison to the overcrowded womenswear segment of the fashion pie.
In 2019 Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail acquired a 51 per cent stake in the parent company of Shantnu and Nikhil. Speaking on ABFRL’s role in the growth of S&N, Mehra told Economic times: "With this association the label has channeled ABFRL’s technological and supply chain capabilities, which has helped the brand fast-track its growth and expand its retail network."
In 2021 Shantanu Nikhil launched a Safari-themed couture collection which was an instant hit. Per Vogue: "Their minimalism-meets-military construction remains. As does the refusal to follow any prescribed codes. For starters, they are quick to point that it’s not ‘festive’ or ‘occasion’ but ‘celebration wear.’ ‘Ceremonial’, in this case, isn’t just restricted to weddings. The spring/summer 2021 collection #SNSafari, for instance, is all about celebrating travel and intimate getaways…"
Indian fashion designers Shantanu and Nikhil have always envisioned creating a contemporary design language with their eponymous label.
Shantanu Mehra (Founder)
Nikhil Mehra (Founder)
Recognition and Awards
Products and Services
Shantanu and Nikhil retails Indian ceremonial wear for men and women in modern silhouettes and an anti-trend design philosophy.
- Official website Shantanu Nikhil
- Designer duo Shantnu and Nikhil aim to enter Rs 100 crore club by Mar '23 Economic Times
- Shantanu Nikhil Vogue
- Shantanu and Nikhil on clocking 20 years in fashion PinkVilla
- Wikipedia page Wikipedia
- Shantanu and Nikhil’s couture outing is a lesson in hope Vogue
- S&N by Shantnu Nikhil's new retail playbook includes multiple stores Vogue
- Shantnu and Nikhil draw inspiration from 1920’s Italy Luxe Book
- Facebook profile of Shantanu Nikhil Facebook
- Ace designers Shantanu and Nikhil on taking Indian fashion to a global level Financial Express
- Shantanu and Nikhil Mehra talk about their new gender-agnostic collection Vogue
- Shantanu and Nikhil on the evolving Indian luxury market Femina
- Instagram profile of Shantanu Nikhil Instagram
- Digital First: S&N by Shantanu and Nikhil The voice of fashion
- Twitter profile of Shantanu Nikhil Twitter
- Indian heritage with a millennial spin Elle
- Shantanu-Nikhil unveil 'Independence’ collection Fashion Network
- Shantanu Nikhil champion edgy glamour with their couture collection Vogue
- Designer label Shantnu and Nikhil opens new outlet in Chandigarh The Hindu
Shantanu Mehra (Founder)
Nikhil Mehra (Founder)
Fashion and Textiles