Arthur D. Little is a distinguished consulting firm with a prestigious history dating back to its founding in 1886 by Arthur Dehon Little, an MIT chemist, and Roger B. Griffin. Originally named Little & Griffin, the firm started in Boston, and its early work focused on analytical studies, particularly in the field of paper-making.
After facing tragedy with the untimely passing of Roger B. Griffin, Arthur D. Little continued to thrive, forming a partnership with William Hultz Walker from MIT's Chemistry department, known as Little & Walker. Eventually, the partnership dissolved, leading to the incorporation of the firm as Arthur D. Little (ADL) in 1909.
Over the years, ADL expanded its expertise and influence, providing consulting services to various industries. Their work garnered respect and recognition, leading to the establishment of their headquarters at the iconic Arthur D. Little Inc., Building in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1917.
Today, Arthur D. Little remains a prominent consulting force, known for its pioneering contributions to technology, innovation, and business strategies. The firm's commitment to excellence, research, and mentorship continues to shape its legacy as it supports and advises organizations worldwide.
Arthur D. Little, a renowned consulting firm with a rich history, traces its origins back to 1886 when it was founded by Arthur Dehon Little, an MIT chemist, and his colleague Roger B. Griffin, a chemist and graduate of the University of Vermont. The company initially operated as Little & Griffin, headquartered in Boston, where MIT was also located at the time.
Under this partnership, Little and Griffin collaborated on a manuscript titled "The Chemistry of Paper-making," a highly authoritative text in the field. However, tragedy struck in 1893 when Griffin lost his life in a laboratory accident before the book's completion.
Determined to carry on, Arthur D. Little forged a new partnership with William Hultz Walker, a professor from the MIT Chemistry department. This led to the establishment of Little & Walker in 1900, while both entities were still based in Boston. However, this partnership came to an end in 1905 when Walker dedicated his time to overseeing MIT's Research Laboratory of Applied Chemistry.
Undeterred, Arthur D. Little continued to make strides in the field and officially incorporated the firm as Arthur D. Little (ADL) in 1909. The company's early work primarily focused on analytical studies, laying the foundation for the renowned consulting studies that would define ADL in the future. Additionally, Arthur D. Little also shared his knowledge by teaching papermaking at MIT from 1893 to 1916.
In 1917, ADL moved to its own building, the Arthur D. Little Inc., Building, situated at 30 Memorial Drive on the Charles River in Cambridge, Massachusetts, next to the new campus of MIT. This significant move solidified ADL's presence in the academic and technological hub of Cambridge. The building gained historical significance and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
In the following years, ADL continued to expand its operations and influence, opening the Acorn Park labs in west Cambridge in November 1953. The name "Acorn Park" was derived from the company motto - "Glandes Sparge Ut Quercus Crescant," meaning "Scatter Acorns That Oaks May Grow."
As part of its commitment to its employees, ADL established the Memorial Drive Trust, a tax-exempt retirement trust designed to benefit its workforce. Throughout its history, Arthur D. Little has upheld its legacy as a pioneering consulting firm, known for its expertise and contributions to various industries.
Arthur D. Little's mission is rooted in a rich history of over 135 years, during which they have consistently linked people, technology, and strategy to create a powerful impact for their clients. This longstanding commitment to excellence and innovation underscores their dedication to delivering transformative solutions that drive success in a rapidly evolving business landscape.
Throughout their history, Arthur D. Little has been at the forefront of thought leadership, embracing emerging technologies, and exploring new strategies to address complex challenges faced by their clients. By combining their expertise with a client-centric approach, they strive to understand and meet the unique needs of each organization they serve.
Arthur D. Little's vision is to be a leading force in linking people, technology, and strategy to drive transformative outcomes for their clients and make a positive impact on the world. With a focus on originality and pragmatism, the firm envisions guiding organizations to accelerate their performance, foster innovation through convergence and digital advancements, and create meaningful change that extends beyond business success.
In pursuit of this vision, Arthur D. Little aims to be a trailblazer in uncovering new approaches and creative solutions to enhance their clients' performance. By leveraging the synergy between people, technology, and strategic thinking, the firm envisions propelling businesses to new heights of success and sustainability.
Ignacio Garcia Alves (Global CEO)
Dr. Ulrica Sehlstedt (Board of Directors)
Bernd Schreiber (Board of Directors)
Yusuke Harada (Board of Directors)
Products and Services
Strategy Consulting: Arthur D. Little provided strategic advisory services to help organizations define and implement effective business strategies. Their expert consultants collaborated closely with clients to identify growth opportunities, address market challenges, and optimize their competitive positioning.
Technology and Innovation Consulting: Leveraging their expertise in technology and innovation, Arthur D. Little assisted clients in embracing digital transformation and cutting-edge technologies. Their services included digital strategy development, innovation management, and technology-driven business model evaluation.
Performance Improvement: Arthur D. Little offered solutions to enhance organizational efficiency and effectiveness. This included process optimization, operational excellence programs, cost management initiatives, and performance measurement systems.
Market and Competitive Analysis: The firm conducted in-depth market research and competitive analysis to help clients understand market dynamics, assess competitor strengths and weaknesses, and identify growth opportunities.
- Arthur D. Little | Wikipedia
- Arthur D. Little | Forbes
- Arthur D Little | Managementconsulted
- Arthur D. Little | Firsthand
- New Blue Shift Report From Arthur D. Little Outlines the Transformative Value of the Industrial Metaverse | Martechseries
- Arthur D. Little elects six new partners across European offices | Consultancy
- Organization and Change Management Consulting Market 2023 is Booming Globally with Top Key Players- Accenture, Aon Hewitt Investment Consulting, Inc., Atos Consulting, Arthur D. Little, Bain & Company | Hometown Pages
- How I got hired at Arthur D. Little | Targetjobs
- Arthur D. Little elects new partners in Beirut and Dubai offices | Consultancy Me
- Arthur D. Little Appoints Eleven New Partners Across Global Offices | Businesswire
- Satoshi Ohara re-joins Arthur D. Little as partner in Tokyo | Consultancy
- Digital Transformation Strategy Consulting Market is Projected to Grow in the Coming Years | ABeam Consulting Ltd., Alpha Catalyst Consulting, Arthur D Little | Hometown Pages
- Unlocking Innovation Potential: Arthur D. Little's benchmark report unveils the path to a 30% boost in R&D returns | Zawya
- Arthur D. Little’s 2023 Media Market Report Predicts Fresh Wave of Physical and Digital Opportunities | Businesswire
- HomeMarket Report & Surveys Web3 and Metaverse Could Be $200 Bn Opportunity for India — Arthur D. Little Report | Indianweb2
- More optimism. 60% of Indian CEOs intend to increase spending: Arthur D Little study | Thehindubusinessline
- Qatar constitutes 17.4% of total Mena investments in sustainable finance: A D Little | Gulf Times
- [Herald Interview] New markets, startups can counter crisis: Arthur D. Little CEO | Koreaherald
- New Edition of Arthur D. Little’s Innovation Magazine Focuses on Business Resilience | Yahoo Finance
- Web3 and Metaverse could be US $ 200 Bn opportunity for India: Arthur D. Little’s report | Expresscomputer
Ignacio Garcia Alves (Global CEO)
Financial and Banking