Ogilvy is a renowned advertising, marketing, and public relations agency with its roots dating back to 1850 when it was founded as a London-based agency by Edmund Mather. The agency gained prominence in 1964 through a merger with a New York City agency founded by David Ogilvy, leading to the establishment of Ogilvy & Mather. Today, Ogilvy is headquartered in New York City and is a key part of the WPP Group's global agency network.
Ogilvy's services are categorized into five key areas: growth and innovation, advertising, brand and content, public relations and influence, experience, and health. Additionally, the agency operates Ogilvy Consulting, a division focused on providing strategic services. The agency has a significant presence and influence in the world of marketing and communication, contributing to the success of various brands and businesses.
Ogilvy, officially known as Ogilvy & Mather, has a rich history that spans over a century. Here's a brief timeline highlighting key milestones in the history of Ogilvy:
1850: Edmund Mather establishes a London-based agency, laying the foundation for what would later become Ogilvy.
1888: The agency undergoes changes and becomes Mather & Crowther, expanding its services.
1921: The agency evolves into Mather & Crowther Ltd. after a series of mergers.
1948: David Ogilvy, a British advertising executive, establishes his own advertising agency in New York City.
1964: The significant turning point occurs when David Ogilvy's agency merges with Mather & Crowther, creating Ogilvy & Mather (O&M). This merger is crucial in establishing the agency's global presence and setting the stage for its future success.
1971: Ogilvy & Mather goes public, trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
1989: WPP Group, a British multinational advertising and public relations company, acquires Ogilvy & Mather. This acquisition enhances Ogilvy's global reach and resources.
2009: The agency shortens its name to Ogilvy, reflecting a shift in branding and a simplification of its identity.
2018: John Seifert becomes the Global CEO of Ogilvy, succeeding Miles Young.
2020: Ogilvy undergoes a restructuring process to simplify its organizational structure, foster collaboration, and enhance client focus.
Throughout its history, Ogilvy has been synonymous with creativity and effectiveness in advertising. David Ogilvy, often referred to as the "Father of Advertising," was known for his principles of advertising, emphasizing research, creativity, and a focus on the consumer. Ogilvy's legacy is marked by iconic campaigns, including the legendary "Man in the Hathaway Shirt" and "A Diamond is Forever" for De Beers.
Today, Ogilvy continues to be a major player in the advertising and marketing industry, serving a diverse range of clients globally and maintaining a reputation for innovative and impactful campaigns. The agency's commitment to creativity, strategy, and client success has solidified its position as a leading force in the world of advertising.
Ogilvy's mission revolves around providing innovative and impactful marketing and communication solutions, driven by a deep understanding of client objectives and consumer insights. The agency has historically focused on maintaining the highest standards of creativity, professionalism, and strategic thinking to help its clients achieve success in the ever-evolving landscape of advertising and marketing.
The agency has aimed to push the boundaries of innovation, continuously adapt to changing market dynamics, and provide clients with strategic and creative solutions that drive business growth. Ogilvy's vision is likely to include a focus on staying at the forefront of industry trends, fostering a collaborative and diverse work culture, and maintaining a client-centric approach.
Tope Ajala (Global Head of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion)
David Ford (Global Chief Communications Officer)
Devika Bulchandani (Global Chief Executive Officer)
Kim Johnson (Global Chief Executive Officer, Ogilvy Health)
Products and Services
Ogilvy offers a comprehensive range of products and services in the fields of advertising, marketing, and public relations. The agency operates in five key areas:
Growth and Innovation: Ogilvy provides strategic solutions to foster the growth and innovation of businesses. This may involve market research, trend analysis, and the development of innovative strategies to help clients stay competitive and relevant.
Advertising, Brand, and Content: Ogilvy is renowned for its expertise in crafting compelling advertising campaigns, building and managing brand identities, and creating engaging content across various media platforms. The agency focuses on delivering messages that resonate with target audiences and enhance brand visibility.
Public Relations and Influence: Ogilvy offers public relations services aimed at managing and enhancing the reputation of clients. This includes media relations, crisis management, and strategic communication to positively influence public perception.
- 10th apac effie awards: ogilvy takes out network of the year; chep melbourne clinches grand effie; special new zealand named agency of the year and independent agency of the year | Campaignbriefasia
- Ogilvy hires Jordan Lubowitz lead DC PR team | PR Week
- Samsung’s “Unfold Your World” Campaign Named Grand Winner of the 2023 ARF David Ogilvy Awards | Businesswire
- B2B influencers' like CEOs and doctors are seeing a surge in demand from brands for marketing campaigns. Here are 5 key findings from a new survey | Businessinsider
- Ogilvy PR Launches Business Influence to Help B2B Brands Add Weight to Their Stories | lbbonline
- When Women Can Run The World, It Will Run Better, Says Ogilvy's Devika Bulchandani | Businesstoday
- Ogilvy report reveals influencer marketing dominates B2B | Campaignme
- Ogilvy PR launches influencer marketing offering, Business Influence | Mumbrella
- Ogilvy Announces New Leadership in NZ; Proven Leader Steve Kane Takes Helm | lbbonline
- Ogilvy Appoints Adriano Matos Global Executive Creative Director | lbbonline
- 2022 APAC agency rankings: Zenith and Ogilvy finish atop new business leagues | Campaignasia
- Ogilvy wins the grand prize at 2023 Effie Awards | Businesslive
- Ogilvy releases annual marketing report exploring new takes on brand purpose | Mediaweek
- Ogilvy Named Creative AOR For Verizon's Consumer Business | Mediapost
- Costa Coffee Appoints Ogilvy Malaysia for Brand & Social Sedia Management Strategy | Brandinginasia
- Why Ogilvy’s Piyush Pandey and Pidilite’s Bharat Puri have an unbreakable bond | Storyboard18
- Chairman of Ogilvy Greater China TB Song Retires After Four Decades | Brandinginasia
Media and Communications